Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thyme and Thyme Again

Did I hear my local Meteorologist right tonight on the evening news?   It’s going to be ninety five degrees within the next few days.  If this is true—summer is already here!  What happened to spring?  Regardless, this will be a real treat after an unusually cool spring here in the Sonoran Desert.   The warm weather is inviting and will be a perfect time to clean and prepare the herb garden for the upcoming months.   Among the many herbs up for inspection in my garden is the hardy Thyme

Thyme, Thymus vulgaris also known as Garden Thyme or Wild Thyme is a member of the mint family.   Thyme is an annual, perennial and herb that blooms in early summer with small fragrant purple, pink or white flowers.   Presently, there are over one hundred types of thyme around the world.   Three of the most popular varieties are the Garden, Lemon and Wild Thyme.

Variegated and Narrow Leaf Thyme

Ways to distinguish the common varieties are by their leaves, which are either narrow or broad leaved, or variegated.   Thyme is used throughout the Sonoran Desert as ground cover and grows well in containers.  It is also used decoratively for its cascading abilities to creep along walls and throughout rock gardens.  Imagine growing some Creeping Thyme or having some Wild Thyme in your own garden.

I grow my Thyme in a large decorative clay pot, which I keep elevated on a plant stand.  The stand holds the oversized pot fourteen inches off the ground and keeps the annoying, but cute desert rabbits from getting into my prized possession.  This hardy leafy plant grows at its best in loamy, well drained and neutral soil conditions.   My Thyme gets full sun with almost no shade and perseveres in the warm desert weather.   Although, thyme is known more for its culinary appeal, it has a variety of medicinal properties that just may surprise you.    

In the Kitchen…
Thyme gives off a pungent, bitter and warm flavor when used in: soups, gumbos, chicken, vegetables, jams and stews.   For other uses, it can be made into tea, tinctures and oils, or dried in capsules.   It has also been found to aid in the digestion of high fat foods.  

Additional Uses for…
Thyme are found in its medicinal properties such as: antibacterial, antifungal, astringent, sedative, tonic and diuretics.  It also stimulates the lungs by relieving congestion, and rejuvenates and boosts the immune system.    Thyme can be used as a topical for conditions such as: arthritis, insect bites and stings.  Herbalists suggest using Thyme as a bath herb for sore muscles or add to homemade soaps and massage oils.

Prune…
Thyme when the stems appear to be spiny and lacking their leaves.
If slightly out of shape, then prune lightly.  
Prune in late summer after the bloom, or in the fall after the first frost.

More Fun Thymes
Hi Ho Silver Thyme, Moonlight Thyme, Winter Thyme, Passion Pink Thyme, Lime Thyme, French Thyme, English Thyme, Silver Thyme, Tuffet Thyme, Common Thyme, Orange Thyme, Lemon Thyme, and Wild Thyme.






See Sources Tab for References

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom and I just started trying to grow an herb garden. We didn't get any kind of thyme to plant, but based on this post, thyme seems like a great herb to add. Thanks :)

Bev said...

Yes, Thyme is a must have for any garden and the fact that it does well here in Arizona is a bonus. You won't be disappointed. Thanks for your post azyouththeatre!

Hannah Tooker said...

I actually have a small herb garden growing, and it has thyme in it. I am a huge fan of thyme especially in my cooking, and the way that it smells is wonderful too. I love your blog, and the information it provides, i will definitely keep reading.

Bev said...

Thanks for your post Hannah. Thyme is great to have in the garden and wonderful to use in recipes. Also, it's nice in olive oil too.

Baseball Bum said...

Creative blog post title! I am not a big gardner but I am always curious of what plants can survive in this crazy weather. What happened to Spring? It's crazy how hot it is in Arizona already. But, I suppose it is almost May! I enjoyed reading the information you included in this post.

Bev said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog BB. Believe it or not there was once over 2500 plants that adapted to the southwestern desert climate. That's a lot of flora. The neat thing is that most were edible. Thanks for your comment.

Jillian said...

Very informative post. Since I can barely cook Raman noodles correctly, learning a little more about Thyme will make me sound like less of a cooking newbie. I have asthma so it's pretty cool to find out that this plant can help alleviate lung trouble. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Very informative blog and well-designed to boot.

Bev said...

Thanks Jillian and Manningteam.

Anonymous said...

We always cooked with tons of thyme when I was growing up! This is a great idea for a blog, and if I ever end up somewhere with a backyard in the state again I would love some gardening tips.

Bev said...

Thanks for your comment afeverpitchmusic. Stop by anytime.

Anonymous said...

I've always had a crush on gardening, but I've never truly pursued it. I just got pumped up to plant some herbs, and I want to dash to Home Depot right now. I can picture it now: a clay pot of thyme perched in my kitchen window. I truly enjoyed your post!

Erin Bartel said...

What a great blog idea! I am the king of noobs when it comes to gardening so I learned a whole lot just from your first couple of posts. I just moved into a new house and the backyard is as bare as can be. I will definetly check back for more ideas about how to fill it up. Thanks for the information!

Tyler Jones said...

Very technical blog but also very informative. I know nothing of gardening or climate zones, but your voice is good throughout.

Bev said...

Thanks Erin, Tyler and offbeatarizona for stopping by my blog. It's always great to read nice comments. Good luck in your gardens and hope to see you again in the future.

Stori Ruhter said...

This is a great blog, full of information. My favorite part about it are the photos to see what the plants look like. This makes me want to plant something. Thanks for introducing me to things I didn't already know.

Alicia B. said...

I love that you list the many different uses for thyme. It's not just for food. :) I also love your expertise that you share with us throughout the blog. You really know your stuff. Keep up the good work! :)

Bev said...

Thanks Stori and HR Sponge for stopping by. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see your comments in future blogs.

krstnhd said...

What a cool concept for a blog! Coming from the east coast, I've been wondering how I can maintain my parent's tradition of gardening if the climate is so different here. I'll be back here to learn more, for sure!

Leighanna Sears said...

You have so much information and it's wonderful! I really feel as a reader that I can trust you, and I can tell that gardening is a true passion for you. Your blog helps get rid of the notion that nothing can grown in the desert beside cacti. Great job!

Amanda Martinez said...

I know nothing about gardening so your blog is definitely a great start to help me get that green thumb. Thyme seems like an easy place to start here in AZ!

aruta said...

Very interesting post. I never knew so much about thyme. I know that my mom likes to cook with it sometimes. I like the way your blog is set up too!

Bev said...

Thanks, Kristin, Amanda, Anthony and Leighanna for stopping by thesonorandesertgardener blog. It is always refreshing to read positive comments from others--hope to see you in the future.